Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mystery 45s

From 'The Twilight Zone' of Bakersfield singles releases

Sid Silver is a mystery. Who was he? Tom Sims, a San Diego, Calif., collector and lawyer told me he bought a garage full of items from Bill Woods out of Woods' Bakersfield garage in the mid-1980s. "One item was a box full of unplayed 'Bumble Rumble' singles by Sid Silver," Sims said. That is the sum total of my research on that one. Also lost to antiquity: Bonnie Blue Bell. "Let's Go" is too good of a recording to raise such question marks. It is without question not Bonnie Owens, who was a friend of mine and whom Merle Haggard once described as having an "odd voice." Bonnie Blue Bell sings "Let's Go" with a Leon, whom I theorize might be Leon Roach, a vocalist with Bud Alden's band. And then there is Duke Dickson. I've dug and dug and not found even a clue. He took his "Walking Shoes" and walked on, if you'll pardon my corniness. After coming up mostly empty and banging my head on these three, any sense of humor I have left is welcome for my well-being.
Bakersfield rockabilly. Tele friend.

1 comment:

Karel said...

Bakersfield Records label gives credits to Bonnie Blue Bell / Leon Roach.